3.25.2007

Fantasy Baseball

Yes, the moment everyone who reads this blog has been waiting for: fantasy baseball season. At last you can hear more about your favorite topic - fake baseball.

We held our draft yesterday in Chicago and I'm quite happy with my team this year:


Starting Pitchers:
John Lackey
Jason Schmidt
Barry Zito
Josh Beckett
Doug Davis
Bartolo Colon
Noah Lowry

Relief Pitchers:
Octavio Dotel
Fernando Rodney
Mike Gonzalez
Jonathan Broxton
David Weathers

Starters:
C - Joe Mauer
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Jeff Kent
3B - Hank Blalock
SS - Orlando Cabrera
OF - Lance Berkman
OF - Manny Ramirez
OF - Raul Ibanez
OF - Torii Hunter
Util - Richie Sexson

Backups:
1B/2B/3B/SS - Rich Aurillia
3B - Eric Chavez
1B - Nick Johnson

I'm very happy with my offense. I had the first pick and took the obvious choice: Pujols. After that I was pleasantly surprised to find Lance Berkman still on the board when I had my turn again at pick #24 and very surprised to still find Manny Ramirez at that point. I was later able to land three more 30HR 100RBI guys as well as getting a great deal on Joe Mauer. I hadn't been targetting one of the best catchers (as Mauer is) but he was on the board at a point that I felt was a full 20 picks too late and I just had to go for it.

I was also able to land 5 pitchers with more than 150Ks. I slightly overpaid for John Lackey - but not too bad. Zito I definitely overpaid for him but I really like him coming into his first year in the NL - I really didn't want to miss out while trying to make him into a "good deal".

My bullpen is probably my weak spot but to be honest: that's exactly where I wanted my weak spot to be. I've been burned several years in a row by taking a high priced closer only to have him fall way way short - not happening this year!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you are a nerd.

tom said...

Yeah, nice lineup. I will keep an eye on the of the standings to see how it works out for you.

tom said...

"bottom of the standings" that was supposed to be

jimhalberg said...

Jealousy can be such an ugly thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure David "stormy" Weathers will guide you to the top of the league. just kidding - nice team.

michael said...

I would consider starting Pujols at pitcher to pad your offense. You can play Doug Davis at first due to his versatility. Just email me directly if you want more advice.

t. said...

What color are the uniforms for your team? Do you have a mascot? Will there be promo days for the fans? I want to come and watch your team play on bobble head day!