8.07.2006

Lollapalooza Day 3

The first act we saw Sunday (Day 3) was The Hold Steady - a solid start.

The next one was a really nice surpirse: Ben Kweller put on a great show that I think we were all very happy with. What's with the Aussie's at Lollapalooza? They all put on great shows!

Andrew Bird was one show that I really thought was going to sneak up on me. I thought this could be the one that really put on a great show out of "nowhere"... not quite. It was a solid show but I think he would be much much better suited to a smaller venue.

Next for sadly the biggest disapointment of the weekend: The Shins. I am definitely a fan of this band so I really thought I was in for a treat. The worst sound of the weekend (by the way, the rest of the weekend they did an INCREDIBLE job with making every band sound good) combined with what I think just wasn't that great of a live show really was disapointing.

The last two bands of the weekend were two of my favorite shows. Wilco owed me a good show. I am a pretty big fan but the only other show I had seen was quite disapointing. This one was a completely different story though - I REALLY was happy with the show and now I can happily say: they are very good live.

And, of course, how could we talk about Day 3 without talking about the festivals biggest act and closer: the Red Hot Chili Peppers. These guys put on a really great show and I am very glad to have been able to see them.

All-in-all Lollapalooza was an absolutely great time and I would definitely go again. The back-to-back grade A bands for three straight days was just as incredible as it seems like it should be! My expectations were definitely exceeded: thanks for organizing Brandon!

No comments: