10.13.2006

Cousin Tim

My cousin Tim (Johnson) was killed in a car accident last Monday night in Boston (he had fairly recently moved out there). Obviously, this is terribly bad news - he'll be missed by so many people both in and out of the Halberg family.

I can't think of a single bad memory I have of Tim. Always kind, understanding, and patient with his younger cousins.

I remember seeing his array of skiing medals - won by slalom racing against the clock at various UP hills. Specifically I remember being really impressed and having him play it down: "anyone can win those"... well, so far I have zero!

One Christmas, he received a football game for the Nintendo (I bet Mike remembers this too). The game was relegated to the TV in grandma and grandpas bedroom - the one in the main room was reserved for watching real football and, as I recall, a ridiculously large amount of The Weather Channel. What I really remember though is watching Tim (he was quite good) and getting a chance myself (and being quite bad). At first this doesn't really seem like much - but I think the fact that a young Tim allowed a little cousin to play HIS game on the same day he got it is really impressive.

He was an incredible asset in snowball wars. From tactical preparation, to fort (and tunnel) building, to the actual throwing and combat: he was regularly voted MVP. Often he was our only line of defense against the impending army of uncles!

and I remember seeing him at a Packer game a year or two ago. What are the odds of actually seeing someone you know in a stadium that size, but there he was! He was there with his nephew Zack (I'm not sure how these things work - Zack is my second cousin?). A Packers jersey and a huge smile. That's the way that I see him when I conjure him up in my mind.

A great guy and a great loss. We'll miss you Tim!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jimmer, this is lovely. Would you please send it out to the Halbergs at Google Groups?

I love you.

Maighie said...

Sending you lots of love Jim and thinking of you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this, Jim. Thinking of you and yours. Love Aunt Annie