10.22.2006

Hiking Around Maine

Yes, I've decided to stray from the "Big Trip - Day X" naming scheme. (you're welcome)

Today, I woke up with some terrible lower back pain. Not a good thing for the day you're scheduled to go hike up a mountain. After a check of the weather forecast (it looked terrible) Mike and I decided to go for it!

We drove up to Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. The drive was very nice - many lakes, big hills, a few legit mountains mixed in, and of course - as seems to be the law in Maine: MANY Dunkin Donuts. I had thought that there was a ridiculously high quantity of the chain in Portland itself, but apparently they are even in the small towns:



When we reached Mt Washington we found that the road to the top was closed. The guy told us it was due to several feet of snow on parts of the road, -10F temps, and wind gusts over 120mph. We did have a Chevy Lumina, but I guess they still wouldn't let us through.

We ended up having a very nice trip - a couple of very nice (and thankfully short) hikes and some great pictures.





When we got back to Portland we got some _great_ chowder down at Gilberts Chowder House. I then got the chance to hang out with Claire while the rents went out for the evening. We had a very nice evening - read some books, watched some Dora, and drew some pictures.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I'm glad you had a good time and got to see a bit of Maine. I'm also glad you took all those pictures of Dunkin Donuts. I don't think people really believe me when I tell them the shops are EVERYWHERE.