1.19.2007

Composing Ring Tones

I finally needed to get a new phone... the old one was long overdue for replacement. I had actually been using Monica's old phone for the past 6ish months and it was just finally too much for it.

I had been trying to hold out on the new phone to see what was announced at MacWorld. Sure enough, the iPhone was announced but the pricetag and the network requirement scared me off - maybe I'll jump in on version 2.0.

Anyway, the phone I ended up getting is nothing spectacular. Things like playing mp3s and having a camera are really not important to me - so I just got a standard basic phone. One thing I discovered after I bought it though is the ability to "compose your own ringtones".

Keep in mind this thing has terrible sound quality and the interface to compose is (on quick glance) pretty miserable if you really wanted to do anything cool. HOWEVER, it is perfect for something that I really really want - super ultra completely totally basic sounds. My personal preferences are always to stay away from any kind of unique and cool ringtone - I always end up going with "ring" which will be some sort of imitation of the sound your home phone makes (or made in 1995 anyway).

So, here are the ringtones I have composed and implemented on my phone:

g2 - (the note "G" for what I believe is a "half note" is set to play when I have voicemail)

a4 ("A" for a quarter note to be played for a new text message)

now get ready for the complicated one:
d4g4 (two notes in succession! - for an incoming call)


You can imagine trying to *really* compose something with that type of entry method!

Yes, I know I live dangerously. This really does give me exactly what I want though - short, succinct, boring sounds that don't stand out in anyway whatsoever.

1 comment:

michael said...

What do you mean the network requirement? For $600 it better do everything!