1.16.2007

More on the work question

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! If you still have something to add (especially an opinion that really conflicts with some of the other comments?) I would still really like to hear it. This definitely isn't something where there's an "already have enough comments" limit.

There were two things that really surprised me about the responses we received.

1. 9/11 comments (so far) said: Send It.
The 2/11 said: Send them an email containing the option. So, everyone seems to have no problem with us sending them "something" and the majority seem to think just signing them up with an opt out option is fine.

2. Several mentioned making the unsubscribe deliberately clunky.
I definitely have had the experience that a couple of you have brought up: visiting a site to unsubscribe - seeing that it's involved - and leaving without canceling.

This is something we're really not interested in doing - We want to be as easy to leave as possible for several reasons, not the least of which is that we really do want to be "user friendly, good guys" that treat their users how we'd like to be treated.

Another, perhaps more concrete reason is that when I couldn't unsubscribe for the emails I mentioned above my reaction WAS to stop trying to unsubscribe and let them continue sending since it was a hassle, BUT I wasn't going to continue receiving. So, when I got back to gmail, I immediately clicked the "spam" button. I really try not to do that as I know firsthand that a company identified as a "spammer" (even for a short period) can have a hell of a time getting their head back above water, but when they made the process unnecessarily difficult: I really didn't feel bad about it.

At this point we haven't made the final decision as to whether to go ahead - or when to do it, but the feedback here seems to be very in favor of doing it. I would REALLY like to hear your opinion if you haven't had a chance to leave it yet. It's very surprising (unlikely?) that everyone reading does feel we should sign them up (or minimally send them something)... everyone else is posting anonymously - you can too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, the opt out email? I don’t think it will work. As someone already said, people just delete emails they don’t recognize. I’ve heard that some spam includes opt out hyperlinks that will actually cause more spam to be delivered to you inbox.

It might not be good business sense at first glance, but using an “opt in” email would allow you to actually get subscribers who want your service. If your 33% is currently counted as non-interested persons or something like that, using an opt in email would probably allow you to add some of those 33% to your list of clients as firm committed members. The opt out email would leave a lot of uncertainty as to whether these people want your services.

michael said...

Again, just set them up with an account and let them opt out.