4.23.2007

A Belated NYC Report

Monica had some great coverage of our NYC trip a couple weekends back here. Gina had some great coverage too, although she (they) did quite a bit that Monnie and I weren't around for.

This was my fifth time in the Big Apple and, while we did see a game at Shea stadium, it was quite a bit different than my other trips.

For starters: it wasn't sports-centered. We did see a very good Mets v. Nationals game at Shea but the baseball game was just one event among many. The only other trip I have made to NYC that wasn't based on sporting events was the trip with my class in HS... which was *very* different than the rest, obviously.

Another big difference was the subway. I had ridden on the subway (in NYC) once before but this trip it was our primary mode of transportation. We actually only got in a cab a couple times the entire trip. Our hotel (the Grand Hyatt) was literally next door to Grand Central Station - making for very easy access to a major hub in the system.

And finally, probably the biggest difference: the group we were with. Aside from the large school group that I went with - my trips have been with just a couple of (guy) friends. This trip was spent largely with WI friends who were also in town for the wedding. Another day with relatives (Monnie's Aunt Debbie and Uncle Rick were there at the same time), and some time with other friends that we hadn't seen in a while.

This was a really great trip - and being there for the most rain they had received in 100 years (or something) didn't stop us from having a great time!

2 comments:

michael said...

I have never used the subway for anything other than saying that I used it.

Sheila and I are going to NYC at the end of May, hopefully the rain stops before then!

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! I'm amazed at all you saw and did with the record rains.