5.16.2006

Muzak

I saw two very good shows last week. It started out with The Weepies on Tuesday at Cafe Montmarte. I had been to Cafe Montmarte before but never for a show... it was awesome (as I had heard coming into it). The kind of small venue that is really ideal of seeing this kind of folk show. If you're wondering what these guys sound like: let's just say that there has seldom been a more aptly named group! (and I don't mean that as a negative) If you want to check out their stuff just hit The Weepies website and it should automatically start playing.

As you'll also see on the website they've been featured on several episodes of tv shows. As they said during the concert: You know you've finally made it as a singer songwriter when two people make out in a closet to one of your songs on television.

The second show of the week was quite the opposite of folk. Atmosphere (hip hop) played at The Pabst which by the way is not the same place as the Riverside (sorry Nate!). This was an awesome show. I've seen Atmosphere three or four times now (basically anytime they're around here) and this may have been my favorite of the shows. Their new disc is great and this was a great live performance as one of the openers (Brother Ali) stuck around to do backup lyrics for Slug.

This turned out to be a great venue too - the first and second levels were completely packed but we had lots of room to spread out and really enjoy it from the third level.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will show you all you need to know
you must hold on to anyone that wants you
and I will love you through simple and the struggle
but girl you gotta understand the modern man must hustle

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT!! YEA!

Great show dude! I wish I wouldn't of been all pain-pilled out! Can't wait to go again when my knee is not all fubared! ps - I owe you for the tickets, don't forget cause I will!!! PEACE!

Whitney said...

I like the sound of the Weepies... I bet the put on a good show in that setting too.

michael said...

I like the sound of the Weepies too. My current favorite is "All that I want." Will have to check out Atmosphere tonight.