2.23.2006

Changing Calendars

After maybe about a year of being somewhat annoyed but largely content with Yahoo! as my calendar provider, I've switched over to the hip new 30 Boxes.

Yahoo was good to me overall but there were two big reasons that I just couldn't handle it anymore:
1.Adding simple events is tedious.
2.The default is to notify me by email about every event I add. You can easily change this, but you will need to change it everytime you add an event.

30 Boxes on the other hand excells at ease of adding events. I can type something like "Dinner w/Joe on Friday at 7PM" and magically it adds it in the right place immediately - no page refreshes, it's just done. When things get a little more complicated or I don't know exactly what to type - I can always choose to add it in a way very similar to what I had with Yahoo!, but for the simple events: much simpler.

Another big advantage is that it can pull feeds into it. For example, it's pulling in my feed from Upcoming. Upcoming is a very "Web 2.0" site that allows people to post events by area. I, for example, am subscribed to the "Madison Metro" so I get notified of anything going on in the Madison area (here's my stuff). When I indicate on that site that I want to "attend" or "watch" something - it automagically appears on my calendar. Very handy. It also puts pictures on my calendar that I upload to Flickr (the day that they're uploaded) and other stuff like that.

I'm changing the link over on the right side (under "what else are we up to") so check it out - although, for some reason what you'll see is just a list of my events, which is odd. What I see when I actually use it is a much more traditional (and better looking) calendar, like you'd expect. Anyway, they're new: maybe they're working on it.

No comments: