3.12.2006

Fantasy Baseball Begins

The fantasy baseball season is underway and I'd have to give my draft a... C. It's probably the worst draft that I've had since my first year in the league. Of course, the draft isn't everything. Like everything, a large amount of luck is involved. Last year I felt like I had a pretty good draft - a couple months and 4 or 5 key injuries later... I was off to the worst season in fantasy baseball history (or at least it had to be close!).

Anyway, I really am going to try to avoid picking for anyone but myself next year. It just makes it a whole lot harder to keep up when not only are you making your own picks, but also trying to cross off names and make choices for a 2nd team. That said though: I am very glad that Kevin/Chad joined the league on literally the last day before the draft to round out our desired field of 12. So, given the short notice they had it was completely understandable that they couldn't make it - and picking for two was definitely worth it to get them into the league.

What went wrong:
I wasn't really able to keep track of my team to the degree that I wanted and ended up with a ridiculous number (5!) players eligible at 1B. Granted, two of them are eligible to play other positions - but still... too much. I also somehow ended up missing the fact that I don't have enough relievers. I ended up picking 3 when we need to have at least 4.

So, before the season starts I'll be trying to either trade or pick up free agents to get at least one more reliever. It would be ideal if I could trade a 1B (or maybe 2!) but we'll see how that goes.

There were the typical surprises in the draft - players being picked way sooner than you thought they should be. The biggest surprises though were regarding the players that made it DEEP into the draft or even went undrafted. The memorable ones for me:
* I picked Jorge Posada in the 16th round. I already had a catcher at that point but it was just ridiculous that he was still out there so I pulled the trigger.
* My final three picks were Matt Morris, Carl Pavano, and Craig Monroe. It's quite conceivable that 2 of those 3 guys will be in my starting lineup 75% of my season.

4 comments:

michael said...

I warned you that the Cubs pitchers were lemons and that the Brewers were literally fatasy GOLD, but no, you didn't listen. Here is my advice for this year, the Brewers pitchers will be lemons and Scott Podsednik will be the golden child of fantasy sports.

Anonymous said...

One wonders why YOU left those three players so long in the draft if they will be in your starting line up 75% of the time.

Whitney said...

The Cubs have lemons on their team? And the Brewers have golden children? That's really somethin'.

jimhalberg said...

Didn't listen? I didn't take any Cubs pitchers last year! I took Doug Davis! ... even your good advice couldn't make up for the rest of my guys last year though!

This year there were an incredible number of Brewers taken. Maybe it's a sign of good things to come? Could we *gasp* have an over .500 season?!?